From: Anticonvulsants for behavioral and psychological symptoms in dementia: protocol for a systematic review
Individuals with dementia and BPSD living in the community, long term care, or in specialized longer stay settings
All anticonvulsants for BPSD including valproic acid, gabapentin, pregabalin, carbamazepine, phenytoin, topiramate, levetiracetam, zonisamide, oxcarbazepine, lamotrigine, and phenobarbital. Benzodiazepines excluded
Placebo, no intervention, or other active treatments including both non-pharmacologic or pharmacologic treatments
Primary outcomes: We will consider studies that use validated measures of BPSD such as
1. Neuropsychiatric Inventory .
2. Cohen-Mansfield Agitation Inventory 
3. Brief Psychiatric Rating Scale 
4. Clinical Global Impression Scale
1. Caregiver burden and quality of life
2. Placement in long term care facility from home.
3. Serious adverse effects
4. Treatment discontinuation due to serious adverse effects
Randomized control trials and crossover trials.
Any duration of follow-up longer than 2 weeks.